Sep 6, 2006

Good morning America!

What is the difference between a cab and a limo? The limo driver usually knows where he’s going. After 10 hours air bound I land in DC, with just my walkman and the DC guidebook which I tried to study on the way. 3 pieces of my luggage are in Chicago, Stockholm and NYC… don’t ask why. Together with a SAIS friend whom I bumped-in in customs we get on the cab, and although all we have is what had fit into our pockets, we seem to be enjoying the ride. The Etiopian cab drivers who seemed to struggle with his pocket GPS trying to type in the streets we were heading for did not really catch our attention. After all we were in the USA! After a 30min drive in the big ass Lincoln our guide books became very handy… we learned that the cab driver rarely visits downtown DC, and had no clue where we were heading. 2hours in the cab and I knew the city better than the cabby. But hey! that’s America, opportunities for everyone!

So here I am, 10 days in the slightly artificial capital of the New World.

From the past week

Saturday 8:00 pm, telephone conversation with real-estate broker (TB):

JK: Hi I’m interested in the 2Bdr apartment you advertised on CraigsList
TB: Oh Brothe, yu callin the rite person. I’ll show you something real nice. I’m telling yu, if you don’t like that place tomorrow you can slap me in the face…!
JK: Sounds cool. Can we meet tomorrow morning to see the property?
TB: Mornin? I’m goin to church with my momma, I’ll see yu after lunch…

11:55pm corner of 15th and U


JK: Terrence you are working very hard today.

TB: Brothe, I couldn’t have gotten this up earlier for yu guys, cause my momma’s bed broke down and I had tons to do…

and they say Italy is a maternalistic society…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home