Jan 30, 2007

Substitute Philippines for Iraq and who do you get?

"... history may safely be challenged to show a single instance in which a mesterful race such as ours, having been forced by the exigencies of war to rake possession af an alien land, has behaved to its inhabitants with the disinterested zeal for their progress that our people have shown in the Philippines. To leave the islands at this time would mean that they would fall into a welter of murderous anarchy. Such a desertion of duty on our part would be a crime against humanity."

Theodore Roosevelt, Dec 3, 1901

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

...sorry, not related to the Philippines or Iraq...

but I really enjoyed seeing your pictures of Casa Fangati. I worked there as the cook in Summer 2000. Wasn't it a kick? (I couldn't read any of your text, of course.) Lots of things still remind me of Elba--the smell of parsley, dirty cabbages, my Deruta mug--and I often wonder how good old Professor Calleo is doing. Doesn't look like much has changed!

5:13 PM  
Blogger jasiek said...

Hey! I was pretty surprised to read a comment from an old Elban! What a coincidence that you came across this blog...
I should have started off with the one-and-only "well..." Elba was a lot of fun in many ways and a lot of work as well. I worked in the garden for two months, and together with two other friends had to reanimate it after the Chinghiali, bores, had took it to pieces.
Professore is doing very well, I'm enrolled in a course on US political economy which he teaches every week. Were you a SAIS student too?

If you wish, it might be easier if you respond to my email address: jkrzewinski@gmail.com

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home